This is an open investigation initiated by SUHAKAM in 2006 concerning state-society relations. In this case state agency acted to burn more than 80 houses alleged to have been build inside the newly identified forests reserves.  Questions remain, who gave the order, what were the real motives behind, etc. The document is found here: http://www.suhakam.org.my/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=10127&folderId=26657&name=DLFE-730.pdf

This was reported by Bernama, the official national (state) news agency:

KOTA MARUDU, May 16 (Bernama) — The Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) has proposed an open investigation into the house burning case in Kampung Kaiboton 1, Beluran, soonest possible.

Suhakam commissioner Datuk Siva Subramaniam said the investigation was  important because burning of the villagers’ houses was an inhumane and uncivilised act.

“The responsible persons should have sought peaceful means to solve their problems, especially since the house owners were poor people,” he said to Bernama after visiting the village involved which was said to be in the Paitan forest reserve.

He was accompanied by Suhakam deputy chairman Tan Sri Simon Sipaun.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Siva said the burning of houses belonging to citizens had not happened in democratic countries and he regarded the case as very serious.

“Even foreign migrants would be notified if their squatter homes were to be demolished.

“The residents of Kampung Kaiboton 1, Beluran, Sabah, will never forget the Oct 3 incident last year where 20 of their houses were burned, believed to be by the staff of the Sabah Forestry Department,” he added.

— BERNAMA

http://web10.bernama.com/mecd/newsbm.php?id=262272

Advertisements